chipKIT® Development Platform

Inspired by Arduino™

Again programming fail!!!

Created Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:35:40 +0000 by adriano_p


Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:35:40 +0000

Microchip hardware may be infernal machines! I spent at least a whole week to try to programm a Chipkit UNO32 board with PIC32MX320F128H chip. I programmed this board through Pickit3, drived from MPLAB 8.84, at least hundreds of times without any problem. Now, from some days I always get this message:

The following memory regions failed to program correctly: Boot flash memory Address: 1fc00380 Expected Value: 3c1a9d01 Received Value: 3c1a9d00 The following memory regions failed to program correctly: Program Memory Programming failed

regardeless the code I'm loading, even if I load a hex code compiled with the MPIDE enironment.

So, I concluded that really my chip would have somenthing broken and I buyed a new board and, surprise... THE SAME ERROR!!! and the same behaviour! I red the forum where they suggest to power the chip from the Pickit3 and boosting up to the maximun allowed (3.6 fot that chip) but... the same. I don't know what to do again, if not to switch to other manufacturer PIC and abandon PIC32 and the hostile MPLAB IDE... Can anybody help me? adriano


Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:18:09 +0000

If it's not the board, and it's not your software, then that only leaves the PicKit3.

Do you have anyone near you with a PicKit3 (or even a PicKit2) that would be willing to lend it to you for testing?


Fri, 31 Aug 2012 19:09:17 +0000

You may want to take the time to work through this Microchip trouble shooting page, I have heard of folks getting the more pricey debuggers replaced doing this, not sure if the same applies to the Pickit3 or not, worth a shot though.


Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:04:34 +0000

SOLVED! The "Erase all before program" option in the Pikit3 setting of the MPLAB interface was off: setting it on solved the problem. Even if the loaded code does not included code in the boot region (it was a debugging, no-bootloader compilation), for some reason the pickit software seems to do some code matching operation also in that region. "Clearing all" solved the problem. At least this time...