Issues with SPI3 and interrupts

GrahamM242

Issues with SPI3 and interrupts

Post by GrahamM242 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi all,

I am attempting to utilise SPI3 on a Fubarino SD (1.5). I'm attempting to do back to back transfers (as I'm trying to interface a digital microphone), so I'm not using DSPI. Additionally, DSPI only seems to support a single SPI port on the Fubarino despite it having 4. My simple example code doesn't seem to fire off an interrupt, and I'm a little clueless as to why not.

What I've attempted to do is to set up an ISR that simply pushes more data when the SPI3 Transfer Done interrupt fires. I configure interrupts, configure SPI3 and then manually transmit a byte to get transmit happening. I can see that the byte is clocked out on an oscilloscope, but the interrupt doesn't get fired, so no more data comes out.

Any suggestions?

The reduced code looks like:

Code: Select all

void __USER_ISR SPI3Isr(void) {
  uint32_t data;

data = SPI3BUF;     // Read data as if we cared
  SPI3BUF = 0x00;     // More data to keep TX flowing
  clearIntFlag(_SPI3_TX_IRQ);
}

void setup() {
  pinMode(PIN_LED1,OUTPUT);

SPI3CON = 0;                // Stop/reset SPI
  uint32_t rData = SPI3BUF;   // Clear RX buffer

//Set interrupt vector
  setIntVector(_SPI_3_VECTOR, SPI3Isr);

// Set interrupt priority
  setIntPriority(_SPI3_TX_IRQ, 4, 0);

// Enable interrupt
  //clearIntFlag(_SPI3_TX_IRQ);
  setIntEnable(_SPI3_TX_IRQ);

SPI3BRG = 500;       // Set speed to something
  SPI3STATCLR = 0x40;  // Ensure overflow is cleared
  SPI3CON = 0x8220;    // SPI on, 8 bits, SMP=1, Master mode

SPI3BUF = 0x00;      // start tx/interrupts
}

void loop() {
  static uint32_t nextTime = 0;
  if (millis() > nextTime) {    // Aliveness test
    digitalWrite(PIN_LED1,!digitalRead(PIN_LED1));
    nextTime = millis()+200;
  }
}

majenko
Site Admin

Re: Issues with SPI3 and interrupts

Post by majenko » Sun May 07, 2017 2:12 pm

Aha, you have fallen foul of something I whinged about ages and ages ago and a trap I still fall into repeatedly.

The function

setIntPriority(_SPI3_TX_IRQ, 4, 0);
is badly named. It should really be called something like setVectorPriority, since it operates on a vector not an IRQ number. Not a problem for the MZ chips where there is no IRQ / Vector differentiation, but on everything else it's a bit of a misnomer.

Changing to

setIntPriority(_SPI_3_VECTOR, 4, 0);
should fix it.
working.jpg
working.jpg (55.56 KiB) Viewed 424 times
For audio work though it's better to use one of the newer chips - an MX370/470 for example, or an MZ. These have a REFCLKO (or a number of them) that are good for generating the master clock, which can also be the input clock to the SPI peripheral for a properly synchronised clock system for a CODEC chip (or other similar device) that uses (for example) I2S as its interface.

Also using DMA with a ping-pong buffer will give even smoother transfers.

I wrote this with the MZ parts in mind, and it's output only, but it may give you some pointers to the DMA usage.
Why not visit my shop? http://majenko.co.uk/catalog
Universal IDE: http://uecide.org
"I was trying to find out if it was possible to only eat one Jaffa Cake. I had to abandon the experiment because I ran out of Jaffa Cakes".

GrahamM242

Post by GrahamM242 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Of course, of course! I'd even looked at the interrupt controller for the MX7xx series and seen that there's just the single vector for the three interrupts. I'd just not realised that I should be setting the priority against the vector, not the interrupt source. And, when I put it like that it seems obvious! Thank you for the pointers!

Thanks for the tips on the MX370/MX470 series. At the moment, I'm just playing with a digital microphone that provides a pulse density modulation (PDM) output to represent the analog input. My plan is to use a cascaded integrator-comb CIC filter to convert that PDM signal into a more traditional PCM value (because this is what people who seem to know what they're talking about suggest). Having never had any experience with this, I don't know how successful I will be.

EmbeddedMan

Post by EmbeddedMan » Mon May 08, 2017 3:01 pm

GrahmM242-

Wow, you are correct. After looking into it, I realize that we don't have all three SPI ports exposed for FubarinoSD v1.5. This is a major oversight, and I will correct it shortly. (Note that there are only 3 SPI ports on the PIC32MX795F512H package that we use for the Fubarino SD, not four like with the larger packages.)

*Brian

EmbeddedMan

Post by EmbeddedMan » Wed May 10, 2017 10:38 pm

Full DSPI support has now been added to Fubarino SD, for all 3 SPI ports. I also added two DSPI example sketches (one with interrupts, one without). These will be available in the next version of chipKIT-core (whatever comes after v1.4.1) or you can get the files here:

https://github.com/chipKIT32/chipKIT-co ... /348/files

and here:

https://github.com/chipKIT32/chipKIT-co ... /350/files

*Brian

GrahamM242

Post by GrahamM242 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks Brian - I'll give that a go in due course.