Official Release 20111221

Announcements for new builds and MPIDE enhancements
Askewe

Re: Official Release 20111221

Post by Askewe » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:34 pm

I was anxiously for the release of this kit. i will certainly use it and provide feedback on its performance.

rasmadrak

Post by rasmadrak » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:52 pm

I noticed that the SPI performance seem to be a lot lower than before using the same settings... from 110 fps I now got 35 fps on my display using a newer release. Probably due to the timing fix (?) to make it more like an Arduino.

Is there any way around this, since I really want to use all the new bells and whistles?

rasmadrak

Post by rasmadrak » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:50 pm

I don't know where to put this, so I'm putting it here.
I would like to have a couple of features requested:

1) Add option to Auto-open serial console after upload. It's quite tedious to manually open the serial console after each upload when developing serial-heavy applications.

2) It would be nice if the board and port setting was saved together with the PDE files instead of being global, and also changed automatically when a PDE is being focused/uploaded. I'm developing for several boards and it's tedious as well to manually remember to change the board and port etc. (Especially when they're named usbSerial0319312 etc..)

3) It would be nice to be able to double click the error messages to get to the line-number that fails to compile.

All of these seem simple enough to implement, but would mean a lot to those doing a lot of development. Thanks!

funlw65

Post by funlw65 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:02 pm

rasmadrak wrote: 3) It would be nice to be able to double click the error messages to get to the line-number that fails to compile.
It will be a little harder to implement, as .pde file is parsed and translated in a real .c file where the number of lines will differ (much more lines).
Personally, I would like to have MPLAB X as the main IDE.

rasmadrak

Post by rasmadrak » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:57 am

funlw65 wrote:
rasmadrak wrote: 3) It would be nice to be able to double click the error messages to get to the line-number that fails to compile.
It will be a little harder to implement, as .pde file is parsed and translated in a real .c file where the number of lines will differ (much more lines).
Might be a little harder, yes - but still a function that would increase productivity. The output from the compiler is being read into the MPIDE and displayed, and should be accessible from it as well (making it a rather easy parsing process). :)

avenue33
Site Admin

Post by avenue33 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:22 am

The standard IDE, based on Processing, is fine and provides out-of-the-box, ready-to-use, instant-rewarding experience. However, it's pretty limited.

I'm afraid Processing-based IDEs can't cope with all the nice features more serious developers ask for, such as: parameters tips, jump to definition, object hierarchy browser, refactoring among others, and a glimpse of debugging.

Best solution would be a plug-in for a standard OS-agnostic IDEs like Eclipse, NetBeans — Visual Studio, Xcode and alike are OS-bound.

Feel free to join the conversation at the Looking for a Better IDE thread :!:
Last edited by avenue33 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricklon

Post by ricklon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:00 pm

The problem with error parsing is that there is a custom MessageStream it can parse things, but it should be implemented via logging. So it needs an overhaul. the replicatorG team implemented it as logging and it works fine there.

The lower left corner now at least shows the line number the cursor is on in source. I've got the newlib compiler working, and I'll double check the line numbers it provides for error reporting.

--Rick

rasmadrak wrote:
funlw65 wrote:
Might be a little harder, yes - but still a function that would increase productivity. The output from the compiler is being read into the MPIDE and displayed, and should be accessible from it as well (making it a rather easy parsing process). :)