chipKIT hardware documentation

JordanR

Re: chipKIT hardware documentation

Post by JordanR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Hello knuckles,

In Sketch->Import Library, do you see DSPI under chipKIT?

At this point my recommendation would be to delete your MPIDE download, and redownload clean from either of these links:

https://github.com/chipKIT32/chipKIT32-MAX/downloads
-> 2011 release

https://github.com/chipKIT32/chipKIT-builds/downloads
-> 2012 test

Also delete your current sketches folder (back up any of your projects though) and let your clean download create a new one. Save the clean download to your desktop. Then follow the steps you did previously and re-download the IOShieldOled library from the Basic I/O Shield product page:

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Det ... -IO-SHIELD

I hope this works for you.

Best Regards,

Jordan R
Digilent

knuckles

Post by knuckles » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:48 pm

i think when i delete it ,its not shown in the undelete folder ,so i had to do it manually meaning theres some stuff left behind in the registry but not sure where it leaves a trail. i
had a look with regedit .

i loaded the downloaded files into my arduino IDE library and unzipped and they show up in the menus ok when i start up.

i am using a laptop with an intel atom chip and win7 cut down version .

yep DSPI is there in the menu

thanks for your advice will keep at it ......

knuckles

Post by knuckles » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:39 pm

all is working ok now ,i had a spurious path in the sketch from a previous installation ,that was corrected now all is well ,thanks
do i need to add the board variant files ,as all is working so far ?
what are the board variant files supposed to do ?

JordanR

Post by JordanR » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:44 am

Hello knuckles,

Glad to hear it! The board variant files provide board specific hardware definitions. The proper one is included in your sketch when you select the board you are using from the Tools menu.

Best Regards,

Jordan R
Digilent

zulucat

Post by zulucat » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:55 pm

I recently purchased a uC32 and a Basic I/O Shield. I had troubles getting the OLED to work. In the uC32 manual I came across the following:
15. JP4 – Pin 10 Signal Select Jumper
16. This jumper is used to switch connector J5 pin 5 (digital signal 10) between pulse width modulator (PWM) operation and SPI operation. The jumper is placed in the RD4 position for PWM output and in the RG9 position for SPI slave operation. The shorting block on this jumper will normally be in the RD4 position. The only time it normally needs to be in the RG9 is when using the Uno32 board as an SPI slave device.
Not needing SPI slave operation I moved JP4 to the RD4 position. As it turns out the Shield needs JP4 in the RG9 position for the OLED to operate.

You good folks at Digilent may want to revise the OLED part of the Shield manual to reflect the fact that with the uC32 ( & Uno32) JP4 must be in the RG9 position.

knuckles

Post by knuckles » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:01 pm

thanks for that tip i wondered why the oled demos would not work ,now theyre all singing and dancing . needs to be added in big type on the Olel library ref manual

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Starting simple... a "Getting Started" section for newcomers. Getting to "Hello World" in 5 minutes or less.

First questions I asked...
* Which USB port do I connect for programming?
* How should all these jumpers be set to get started? (e.g., one had fallen off in the carton)

And when mine didn't work...
* How should a healthy bootloader behave out of the box? (Flashing / pulsing LEDs?)
* Do I need to punch reset to enable the bootloader just before uploading a sketch? (No, but some platforms do need this)
* Which LED is TX vs. RX? (And why didn't they use different colors?)

Suggestions:
* A business-card "Getting Started" insert in the carton with a list of the default jumper settings, pointers to the obvious (connect here to program). Or just print this on the inside of the carton.
* Since the correct URL is digilentinc.com, and not diligent.com, printing this on the PCB itself would be a smart idea.

Bianca

Post by Bianca » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:40 am

Hello Richard,

There is documentation about ChipKit boards, including manuals and how to program the board and the schematic.
If in this forum will be created such a section you should take into account that from this year all the information about ChipKit boards were moved to Digilent's Wiki page, and is no longer on the official website.
This is the new page where you can find information about the boards and the software used to program them https://reference.digilentinc.com/doku.php#chipkit
Also there you (or any person interested) should find some demo projects, in general led blinking on any board.

Best regards,
Bianca