chipKIT hardware documentation

GeneApperson

chipKIT hardware documentation

Post by GeneApperson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:49 pm

I'm getting the message both here and in other blogs and forums that I've been looking at that the documentation for the chipKIT hardware could be better. I'm in Vancouver, BC for the ASEE conference right now, but when I get back to my office, I'll start putting together some additional documentation.

What would you like to see?

Gene Apperson
Digilent

TECH GEEK

Re: chipKIT hardware documentation

Post by TECH GEEK » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:40 pm

i'm not sure this is related but how about the following:
  • Recommended supply voltage.
  • Recommended supply current for no load.
  • Recommended operating temp.
  • Recommended current limits for a single digital output pin.
  • Maximum driving current for the entire board board.
  • Maximum amount of pins that can be used,
    at max recommended current per pin.
  • Maximum operating temp range.
  • Minimum supply voltage.
  • Minimum supply current. (with no external current draw)
and ANYTHING else you can think of... (<<<doing so will likely save future chipKITers' having to write up a post)

KM6VV

Post by KM6VV » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Lists of fully tested libraries, untested libraries, and a list of what libraries will be tested next.

Test code for each of the libraries finished.

Lists and test code should include references to the builds used.

thanks!

Alan KM6VV
GeneApperson wrote:I'm getting the message both here and in other blogs and forums that I've been looking at that the documentation for the chipKIT hardware could be better. I'm in Vancouver, BC for the ASEE conference right now, but when I get back to my office, I'll start putting together some additional documentation.

Gene Apperson
Digilent

TECH GEEK

Post by TECH GEEK » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:52 pm

KM6VV wrote:Lists of fully tested libraries, untested libraries, and a list of what libraries will be tested next.

Test code for each of the libraries finished.

Lists and test code should include references to the builds used.

thanks!

Alan KM6VV
GeneApperson wrote:I'm getting the message both here and in other blogs and forums that I've been looking at that the documentation for the chipKIT hardware could be better. I'm in Vancouver, BC for the ASEE conference right now, but when I get back to my office, I'll start putting together some additional documentation.

Gene Apperson
Digilent
+1 for that

Toley

Post by Toley » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:52 pm

hummm I'm not sure the state of libraries should figure in documentation since it can change at any time. A wiki will be more adapted for this purpose.

What I would like to see in documentation is where each hardware peripheral is placed on the board and how to access them. A resume of the microchip peripheral library could be very usefull. Also some tutorial on how to start new project, how to setup existing library and differences between chipkit and original Arduino should be of interest.

Darth Maker

Post by Darth Maker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:40 pm

This page:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

And depending on how much is different enough to note it in the reference, this page:
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage
and of course the sub-pages.

hairymnstr

Post by hairymnstr » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:03 pm

A bit more detail about what the jumpers do and what PIC peripherals are attached to which pins for people writing chipkit specific low-level stuff.

It might be best to put all the effort into one place, there is a fair bit of info contributed by users on http://chipkit.org/wiki.
#include <coffee.h> // The start of all good programming sessions

jgetto

Post by jgetto » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:21 pm

It would also be great if the "chipKIT%20Max32_bysa_sch.pdf" text was Ctrl-F able.

jarkman

Post by jarkman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place - I'm new here, and don't know where anything is - but I've not found it easy to see any hardware docs at all.

I started at Farnell, who linked me to a Digilent product page for the Uno.

I was hoping to find answers to questions like 'How many serial ports are there?', and a simple board pinout diagram, so I could quickly work out if this was actually a board I was interested in. But the product page doesn't seem to answer any of that, or link to anywhere that does, it just links to the forum.

So, if the question is 'What would I like to see?', the answer is 'Some simple introductory docs that tell me what the thing actually does.' If those docs already exist, I'd like them to be fairly obvious links from the product page, or from the root of chipkit.org. I'm sure all this stuff is answered somewhere in here, but having to search for it in a forum is offputting.

Thanks,

Richard

KM6VV

Post by KM6VV » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Some information on the layout of the load image (hex file) would be helpful.

The boot vector, main body, config locations, bootstrap code location, etc.

How to patch the hex file so that the hex code could be loaded into a non-bootstrap coded part.

Alan KM6VV