Looking for a Better IDE

Let us know what you think about the chipKIT, and what can be done to make it better!
avenue33
Site Admin

Looking for a Better IDE

Post by avenue33 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi,

The MPIDE provides an out-of-the-box, ready-to-use, instant-rewarding, stable and easy IDE to build projects on both chipKIT and Arduino platforms.

But because chipKIT boards offer much more power in MHz, I/Os, memory, IMHO they deserve a more powerful IDE with all the modern niceties.

I've been looking around; here's what I've found so far:
  • full plug-ins like Visual Micro for Visual Studio or AVR tool for Eclipse
  • Makefile, here, here and there but with many stability issues hard to solve because of that specific cryptic language,
  • Command-line Arduino IDE like the Ino project, which simulates the Arduino IDE pre-process and avoid the horrendous makefile.
The last two solutions could address a larger number of IDEs, although they require customisation.

As all Mac users, Xcode is installed and ready to run on my MacBook. Before that, Xcode requires some settings, either a standard project or a template —or even minimal template. Templates from Xcode 3 are not upward compatible with Xcode 4 :(.

What do you think? What features to consider?

Jacob Christ

Re: Looking for a Better IDE

Post by Jacob Christ » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:46 pm

Currently we use a combination of the QT Creator IDE with MPIDE as a download tool. There has been some talk around here to customize the QT Creator IDE with the ability to talk to avrdude so that we can do 100% of our development in QT Creator.

By around here, I mean pontech.com

Jacob
PONTECH Quick240 an industrial form factor platform for chipKIT and Arduino users.

WestfW

Post by WestfW » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:22 am

Is there a ChipKit project/setup for MPIDE ?

Jacob Christ

Post by Jacob Christ » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:42 am

WestfW wrote:Is there a ChipKit project/setup for MPIDE ?
I don't understand this question. MPIDE is setup for chipKIT.

Jacob
PONTECH Quick240 an industrial form factor platform for chipKIT and Arduino users.

avenue33
Site Admin

Post by avenue33 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Here is a very interesting Arduino plug-in for Eclipse.

Since MPIDE goes closer to Arduino 1.0 and Eclipse is available on Windows / OS X / Linux, I hope the plug-in is going to address chipKIT also.

WestfW

Post by WestfW » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 am

Oops. Should be "Is there a chipKit setup for MPLAB X ?"
MPLAB is Microchip's IDE for PICs. Version 10 ("X") is multiplatform and based on NetBeans.

ricklon

Post by ricklon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:40 am

MPLAB X is based on Netbeans. If it would be possible to do a really minimal implementation in netbeans, I would interested in making that happen.

--Rick

avenue33
Site Admin

Post by avenue33 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:08 pm

ricklon wrote:MPLAB X is based on Netbeans. If it would be possible to do a really minimal implementation in netbeans, I would interested in making that happen.
--Rick
That sounds great news :)

I tried to install the Arduino plug-in but didn't mange to get it work properly.

I'm considering now Ino, which simulates the hidden dirty work done by the standard Arduino IDE of pre-processing libraries, building, linking, and uploading.

Although the standard IDE is fine and provides out-of-the-box, ready-to-use, instant-rewarding experience, I'm missing features for serious more development, such as: parameters tips, jump to definition, object hierarchy browser, refactoring among others. Also needed: a glimpse of debugging.

I can tell how painful developing the Serial_LCD library has been.

Furthermore, I don't want to deal with many different IDEs, each one with its own idiosyncrasies.

Actually, I don't understand why each micro-controller board manufacturer supplies its own IDE. Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to supply a plug-in for a standard IDE :?:

So let's go for a NetBeans implementation.

Microchip / Diligent team, are you hearing :?: We fully support you :!:

Jacob Christ

Post by Jacob Christ » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:50 pm

avenue33 wrote: Actually, I don't understand why each micro-controller board manufacturer supplies its own IDE. Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to supply a plug-in for a standard IDE :?:
Yes, this is a great idea, but IMHO, java IDE suck (explicitive deleted). Don't get me wrong, netbeans or eclipse are both far superior to MPIDE. I think QT provides a better solution to the problem java tries to solve and QT Creator is an awesome IDE. So you see the dilemma, not one shoe fits all.
avenue33 wrote: So let's go for a NetBeans implementation.
You should go for it. But if ever have time to work on it I'll be using QT.

Jacob

whoover

Post by whoover » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Yes, this is a great idea, but IMHO, java IDE suck (explicitive deleted). Don't get me wrong, netbeans or eclipse are both far superior to MPIDE. I think QT provides a better solution to the problem java tries to solve and QT Creator is an awesome IDE. So you see the dilemma, not one shoe fits all.

I've been using the eclipse IDE for years as well as other java and non-java IDEs like Visual Studio, Netbeans, IntelliJ, etc. I don't think any of them "suck". I can imagine that for an IDE to be as flexible as eclipse is across languages/platforms is quite a challenge. AFAIK, QT Designer has the luxury of only providing support for C++, whereas, eclipse/netbeans support multiple languages. Granted, that C++ is the primary concern for Arduino, it's still convenient for some of us that use multiple languages to have that kind of support within the same IDE ;)